To make a long story short. When Aaron Draplin made the very first Field Notes by hand, as a holiday gift for friends, they looked pretty much like these notebooks. When we started the company we had only one product, a 3-Pack of Kraft Memo Books with graph paper inside. And we expect, we’ll always have those as the heart of our product line.
Our original 48-page notebooks are available in three variations – graph, ruled, or plain paper – or as a mixed 3-pack that includes one of each paper type. Each Original Kraft memo book measures 3-1/2" wide by 5-1/2" tall and is bound by a rugged three-staple saddle-stitch process.
01. Proudly printed by the good people of Service Graphics, Inc., Oakbrook Terrace, Ill.
02. Cover: French Dur-O-Tone 80#C "Packing Brown Wrap," with a thick, brute force, 1-color application of "Dachshund Nose" black soy-based Toyo ink.
03. Innards: Finch Paper Opaque Smooth 60#T "Bright White," with a fine, 1-color application of "Double Knee Duck Canvas" light brown soy-based Toyo ink.
04. Cover printed on a Mitsubishi Diamond Series 40" 6-color printing press.
05. Innards printed on a Miller TP104 28" × 40" 2-color printing press.
06. Bound by a Heidelberg ST350 "Stitchmaster" 8-pocket saddle stitcher, with appreciation to Samuel Slocum, George W. McGill, and William J. Brown, the "Founding Fathers of the Staple."
07. Corners precisely rounded to 3/9" (9.5mm) by a CRC round-corner machine.
With ten percent of the world’s population left-handed, we figured it was about time to make a notebook just for them. It’s identical to our Original Kraft Ruled Memo Book in every way except for this. We reversed the direction, and put the staples on the other side. Got a southpaw in your life? Get ’em a 3-Pack of our new Left-Handed Ruled Memo Books.