The right tool for the job isn’t always drop-forged from chrome vanadium steel or plugged into a 220-volt outlet. Whether you’re rebuilding the engine in a 1967 Pontiac GTO or converting the home office into a nursery, any big project starts with careful planning. Step away from the power tools and collect your thoughts, specs, and calculations with the new Summer 2015 Field Notes Workshop Companion.
This 27th Quarterly Edition is a set of six books, boxed in a sturdy 60-pt custom slipcase with a sheet of crack-and-peel decals. Each of the books focuses on one DIY discipline Wood Working, Automotive, Gardening, Painting, Plumbing, and Electrical — each containing tips, reference materials and the usual Field Notes wise-cracking.
MASTERS OF THE KRAFT
The six covers are color-coded to compliment six tones of 100-lb cover stock from the French Paper Company’s terrific new “Kraft-Tone” paper, their first new grade in five years. The 70-lb text Kraft-Tone “Standard White Kraft” body pages feature our dot-graph, and are bound with tough brass staples. Anyone fixing a switch, planting a bush, or painting a door jamb will find these books make a nice addition to their workbench, junk drawer or toolbox.
01. Proudly printed on a Heidelberg Speedmaster XL 105 40" 6-color printing press by the good people of eDOC Communications, Mount Prospect, Ill.
02. Covers: French Paper Company's brand-new Kraft-Tone 100#C "Index Off-White," "Manila Yellow," "Memo Orange," "Ledger Green," "Parcel Wrap," and "Chip Board" with a brute-force application of two soy-based Saphira inks.
03. Innards: French Kraft-Tone 70#T "Standard White Kraft," with a fine, 1-color application of "Maple Lacquer" light brown soy-based Saphira ink.
04. Packaged in a custom slipcase manufactured by Jessup Paper Box, Lafayette, Ind.
05. Bound with a Heidelberg Stitchmaster ST 270 5-pocket saddle stitcher with cover feeder/scorer & Rima RS 10S in-line stacker.
06. Corners precisely rounded to a ⅜" (9.5mm) radius with a Challenge SCM double round-corner machine.
07. Dot-graph: 3/16" × 3/16" (4.7mm x 4.7mm). 48 Pages.
08. Memo book dimensions are 3½" × 5½" (89mm × 140mm).
09. Field Notes uses only the Futura typeface family (Paul Renner, 1927) in its materials.
10. All Field Notes memo books are printed and manufactured in the U.S.A.